Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Please Help!

Please help!! Carter is almost 9 months old and still not sleeping through the night. I am so tired! Its now affecting our whole family. Zach isn't sleeping, Taylor isn't sleeping. We have tried it all...feeding him, feeding him more, feeding him less, burping him, letting him sleep in our room, letting him cry it out, holding him, Tylenol, Motrin, Gas drops, etc. If we hold him he will eventually fall asleep and then the second we lay him down he wakes up and cries. Sometimes he wants to play and other times he just cries. He was waking only once a night and now it is several times a night. Our Dr told us it could be seperation anxiety and to let him cry it out. But after an hour of crying it out he is so pissed and upset he just keeps crying and I feel horrible. There have been a few nights where we have let him cry for 2 hours and he still won't fall asleep! I am not a cry it out type person either so that is very hard for me to do. I don't know what else to do but its getting to the point where I am finding myself getting mad at him. I don't want to be like that---but I need sleep! Any suggestions out there???!!!

Sincerely tired and hopeless

4 comments:

Morgan said...

How is he sleeping during the day?

What happens if you calm him down and then lay him back in his bed before he falls asleep? Does he have any comfort items that he enjoys like a little blanket?

myhouseof6 said...

please remember that this will not last forever. none of my four slept through the night until they were a year old. not the greatest advice, but i just slept with them, held them, whatever got us both sleep. you are not going to mess him up by letting him sleep with you, on you, whatever. however you can sleep, with him, just do it. he will eventually learn to sleep on his own, just not right now, and that is ok.

Adriane said...

Oh man, that stinks!

My only advice is to stick with the same exact routine every night, and when he gets so upset take him out to comfort him for just a couple minutes, then right back in. I'm not a "cry it out" person either, plus I think when they're that worked up they aren't going to fall asleep without a little comforting, anyway. We were told to put Sade in bed right before she fell asleep so she would get used to falling asleep on her own, and then when she woke during the night she'd be used to just going back to sleep in the crib (instead of rocking etc). That seemed to work for us. I hope you can find a solution soon - not sleeping is the worst!!

annie said...

I agree with Jen. You all, including him, having sleep is more important in my book. :) I agree that you won't mess him up. I know it's hard to balance you wanting him to be able to do it on his own, and also wanting him to know that he can count on you guys. It's tough to figure out! I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time!! We're still doing naps like I told you- he sleeps beside me in our bed for naps. I've decided I want to keep it that way, and it'll stop when he doesn't nap anymore! :) Thinking of you my friend!!